Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How do I log in to Learningzone?
|How do I log in to Learningzone?|
|For lecturers, use the same username and password as your UUM email or internet authentication without including 'staf'.Just your username and password. For students, login using the same UserID and password for your internet authentication, UUM Portal or MyLab.|
|What can I do if I forgot my password?|
|Please contact Learningzone support at 6666. So, we can reset your password.|
|How can I access my courses in Learningzone?|
|Login to UUM Learningzone at http://learningzone.uum.edu.my .Your courses will be listed under 'My Courses' block on your top-right. Click the respective course to enter.|
|My course is referring to what? For example : A111_STID1013_A|
|A111 refers to the current term of the semester which is First Semester Session 2011/2012. STID1013 refers to the course you are teaching/taking based on the academic system. A refers to a group. If you are teaching/taking more than one groups you will see your course code displayed more than once. For example A111_STID1013_A, A111_STID1013_B, A111_STID1013_C etc.|
|I teach more than one group, do I have to repeat the process for each group to upload notes or post any activities?|
No. You can use Import feature under Administration block. Before you do this, upload all notes or activities in only one group, make it as a pilot course e.g. A111_STID1013_A. The other group will use this course to import.
If you are teaching multiple groups for each course. Do make one of your course as a pilot course. Let say A111_STID1013_A as a pilot. Go to your next course, A111_STID1013_B use Import under Administration blocks to import notes from group A.
|How do I jump between my courses?|
|Go back to your UUM Learningzone home page by clicking at the Home menu and then click at your course list under 'My Courses'.|
|How do I find course?|
|The course you are registered should appear on the UUM Learningzone home page under 'My Courses'. For the course you are not registered, click on 'All Courses' link and search for the course by entering course code and name in the search courses at the bottom of the page. You will be able to view the course only if the course allows guest access or enrollment key.|
|I can only see one course topic/week, where have the other topics/weeks gone?|
|On the right-hand-side of each topic/week, there is a small box. Clicking on this will reduce your view to that topic/week only. You have probably clicked on the button by mistake. You can get the other topic/week back simply by clicking on that box again.|
|How do I add content to my course? (Lecturers only)|
|1. Go into your course |
2. Click on the Turn Editing On button in the top right corner (the button now is on Turn Editing Off mode).
3. Click on Add a resource then choose Link to a file or website to add notes, compose a text page etc.
4. Or click Add an activity to add activities like assignment, chat, forum, quiz etc.
5. Fill in the required field (e.g: activity name and description). Use the help icon to find out more about the individual options.
6. Click save and return to course.
7. Make sure your notes/activities appear on the course page.
|Can any other lecturers or students at the same course but different group see my notes or post ?|
|No, because your course is already divided into a group. E.g. A111_STID1013_A.|
|How do I divide my student into a small group?|
|This feature might be useful if you want to give a different assignment for multiple groups in your class. Each group can only see their own assignment. To do this, you need to create a group and grouping simultaneously.Follow the next step on creating group and grouping. |
|What is the difference between group and grouping?|
|Grouping are clusters of groups. You need to be in a group first in order to be in grouping. |
|How to create a Group?|
1. Enter your course
|How to create a Grouping?|
You first need to create a group as above.
|How do I assign groups to a grouping?|
|1. Click at Groups in the administration block. |
2. Click at the Grouping tab.
3. Next to the relevant grouping under Edit , click at the Show groups in grouping icon.
4. Select the group(s) you wish to add to this grouping in the Potential members column.
5. Click at the left pointing Add arrow
6. Click at Back to grouping button
7. Existing groupings can be edited or deleted using the edit icons in the groupings page.
8. Click on the Overview tab if you want to see how your groups and groupings are organized.
|How do I restrict an activity or resource to a particular group only, so other students cannot view the resources? This is practical if you have created several groups in your own course.|
|It is possible to restrict a particular resource (e.g.notes,assignment) or activity (e.g. forum) to a specific grouping. Before doing this, you need to have your groupings in your course. |
1. Go into your course and click Turn Editing On button.
2. Select the activity or resources from the Add and activity or Add a resource dropdown menu or click on the update icon to edit an existing item.
3. Click on Show advanced under common module settings Select the relevant grouping from the Grouping dropdown menu.
4. Tick the available for group members only checkbox.
5. Click Save and return to course at the bottom of the page.
6. Then selected grouping will appear in grey after the activity/resource.
|I cannot open PowerPoint (*.pptx) file using Internet Explorer|
|1. Instead of Open the file you can Save and view it |
2. The problem occurs when using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, and if the file has been created in PowerPoint 2003 or 2007.
3. However, it only occurs if Office 2007 is installed on the computer viewing the file (i.e. it doesn't happen if Office 2003 is installed).
4. The problem does not happen in Mozilla Firefox.
5. Other solution is to install SP1 for Office 2007 or run this hotfix file.
|What browser should I use?|
|Mozilla Firefox is the recommended browser for both Mac and Windows. Mac users will not see the formatting toolbar if using Safari, and some Windows users using Internet Explorer have reported problems with editing their profile.|
|How can I exports a list of students in my course to Excel?|
|There are various way to exports a list of students in your course including listing the participants in a course and then copying and pasting them into another document. |
However, there is a simple way to do just by using gradebook export.
The gradebook export can be used to export an empty (no items) gradebook which will only list the students including their first name, last name and email address.
1. Access your course
2. Click on the Grades in the administration section (left side).
3. From the drop down list (top left) labelled Choose an Action then select the Export to >> Excel Spreadsheet
4. Choose which information you want to export. For a simple student list click Select all/none link to remove all gradebook items
5. Click submit to get preview of your data, and then click Download to save your file.
|How do I backup a course materials|
|1. Lecturers can backup all course materials by using Backup link at the administration block of each course. |
2. The backup will be stored in a zip file in the Files > Backupdata folder. To see the file, click at Files in Administration block.
3. Lecturers are advised to download their course backups to their own computers and remove the backup from the Learningzone server.
|How do I link my content to MyBox? |
|1. First you need to create a ticket in MyBox |
2. Copy the ticket link
3. Open your course in Learningzone
4. Turn Editing On and add a recourse
5. Choose Link to a file or website
6. Fill in the requirement fields (label with red mark)
7. Paste the MyBox ticket link at the Location
8. Save and return to course
|How do I participate in a Discussion Room? |
|1. You need to be authenticated in Learningzone |
2. Click at About Learningzone in Discussion Room block
3. You will be prompted to enrol yourself in this course
4. Click YES
5. You can start to reply to the topic discussion or you can also create a new topic. Before you create any new topic, please check first if the topic is already exist.
|How do I use Turnitin in Learningzone? |
|1. Go into your course |
2. Turn Editing On
3. Choose Add an activity
4. Click at Turnitin
5. You will be prompted to Turnitin page
6. Choose Paper Assignment
7. Click Next step
8. Fill in the requirement field
9. Click Options for more settings. If you are submitting your own paper choose No repository
10. Click submit and return
|Who do I contact for a local support?|
|Send email requesting Learningzone support to email@example.com |
or call our Hunting Line +604 - 928 6666. Alternatively, you can also post your problem to a Discussion Room under topic About Learningzone.